Bootle, Cheltenham & London
£53,012 - £61,307
04 Mar 2021
The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) is looking for an Export Controls Manager to act as our in-house export controls expert offering advice and support across the organisation, manage our license portfolio and ensure up to date protocols, guidance and training. This is a complex area of international regulation and this role requires an individual with the knowledge and skills to work closely with all areas of the business and externally to ensure compliance. The person engaged will work as an integral member of the ONR Policy and Communications Directorate reporting to ONR’s Head of Policy.
The successful candidate will need to combine a high level of export control expertise with excellent leadership, stakeholder management and communication skills. They will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our export control compliance. Specifically, the individual will:
- Act as the single point of contact for the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and the Export Control Joint Unit (ECJU) on all export control matters.
- Advise ONR, working specifically with regulatory divisions, on all aspects of compliance with export controls e.g. in the classification of goods and technology and applicability of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) Control lists.
- Manage our current and future license requirements and negotiating pragmatic outcomes for ONR. They will manage compliance with existing licences, secure all necessary paperwork, ensure reporting requirements are understood and followed and deliver timely renewals.
- Ensure ONR’s future licence requirements are identified in a timely manner through close liaison with regulatory divisions. This includes end to end management of applications through SPIRE and handling of related queries.
- Manage systems and governance to ensure compliance with the requirements of UK export controls.
- Maintain up to date guidance and training for the organisation on export control requirements.
- Identify and advise the business on changes to legislation or government policy.
- Work closely with ONR Policy Business Partners and undertake any other reasonable tasks to support the policy team as requested.
The successful applicant will be a strong collaborator and communicator, able to build effective working relationships inside and outside ONR.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate skills and have experience in:
Essential job-related expertise
- Detailed, current understanding of Export Control legislation and its application.
- Experience of liaison with the Export Control Joint Unit and use of the SPIRE database.
- Knowledge of the nuclear industry and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) Control lists.
- Proven excellent team working and coordination skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with external stakeholders.
- A willingness to work within diverse and multidisciplinary teams and share your exceptional experience to support staff in their professional development.
- Excellent drafting skills, with a proven track record of briefing senior leaders and managers in written and oral communications.
Download full job description