Bootle, Cheltenham or London
£37,951 - £45,442 plus a consolidated allowance of £10k (an additional £3,992 is added for London Weighting if the successful individual is London based)
27 Jan 2019
About The Role/Background
With the coming into force of the Energy Act 2013, ONR became a public corporation with, as part of its remit, the vires for regulation of all aspects of health and safety on nuclear licensed sites, including "conventional" or "industrial" health and safety.
A vacancy has arisen in the in-house specialist team established to regulate conventional health and safety. Working in close cooperation with colleagues across the full range of ONR's Divisions, including nuclear safety, provides an opportunity to gain the broadest possible insight and to make valuable contributions to the work of ONR across it's regulatory functions.
As part of its overall strategy for the regulation of nuclear sites, some specialist and support functions continue to be provided by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), including a collaborative approach to discharging ONR’s responsibilities in the key area of nuclear reactor new-build.
Job Purpose/Key Responsibilities
The post holder will have a key role in delivering ONR's strategy and mission in the following areas of responsibility:
- Undertake frontline inspection of COMAH 15 on relevant ONR sites, including provision of expert technical/regulatory advice to Divisions in support of ONR’s status as a member of the COMAH Competent Authority, liaison with the relevant environment agency, and liaison with ONR and HSE specialists as required.
- Provide specialist technical/regulatory advice to ONR Divisions on construction activities, particularly CDM 15.
- Working within the ONR Divisional structure, undertake the regulation of conventional health and safety (CHS) at nuclear licensed and associated sites which fall to ONR, in accordance with ONR’s CHS Strategy.
- Contribute to delivering ONR Divisions’ proactive inspection workplan.
- Investigation of selected RIDDOR incidents and reported workplace concerns liaising with HSE as appropriate.
- Considering proportionate regulatory action to secure compliance with the law.
- Provide support and advice for other ONR specialist inspectors and managers on CHS matters including investigation and enforcement matters where appropriate.
- Engage with licensees/dutyholders at all levels, including corporately, and maintain and improve links with industry groups/bodies, developing ONR's corporate knowledge of nuclear dutyholders.
- Contribute to regulatory CHS support work which ranges from e.g. maintenance of governance arrangements/partnering with HSE, to the development and maintenance of operational policy, operating instructions, processes and procedures.
Download full job description