£49,645 - £57,965
12 Nov 2020
A vacancy has arisen in the Nuclear Internal Hazards and Site Safety specialism, established to regulate inter alia conventional fire safety across ONR’s sites. Working in close co-operation with colleagues across the full range of ONR's Divisions, including nuclear safety, provides an opportunity to gain the broadest possible insight and to make valuable contributions to the work of ONR across its regulatory functions.
The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR) is an evolving public corporation. Essentially, we’re responsible for shaping and delivering the regulation of nuclear safety and security across the UK. By joining our team, you’ll play a critical role assessing the design of new nuclear facilities and enforcing fire safety at existing UK nuclear sites.
Job Purpose/Key Responsibilities
The post holder will have a key role in delivering ONR's strategy and mission in the following areas of responsibility:
- Working within the ONR Divisional structure, undertake the regulation of conventional fire safety at nuclear licensed and associated sites which fall to ONR, in accordance with ONR’s Regulatory Strategy.
- Contribute to delivering ONR Divisions’ proactive inspection work plan, by leading and participating in multi-disciplinary interventions.
- Provide specialist technical/regulatory advice to ONR Divisions and Specialisms on fire safety, particularly in relation to:
- assessing compliance with fire strategies, risk assessments, management arrangements,
- reviewing and assessing plans for new nuclear construction, modifications to existing facilities
- examining arrangements during decommissioning
- Considering and recommending proportionate regulatory action to secure compliance with the law.
- Provide support and advice for other ONR specialist inspectors and managers on fire safety matters including investigation and enforcement where appropriate.
- Engage with licensees/duty holders at all levels, including corporately, and maintain and improve links with industry groups/bodies, developing ONR's corporate knowledge of nuclear duty holders.
- Contribute to regulatory fire safety support work including the development and maintenance of inspection/assessment guides, processes and procedures
Essential Skills and Experience:
- A strong background in regulating fire safety within hazardous industry
- Experience of implementing fire safety solutions in a wide range of other sectors.
- Extensive knowledge of national fire safety standards and the application of fire engineering principles.
- Experience of working with architects and fire engineers in the design of major developments.
- The ability to assess unfamiliar scenarios by applying first principles derived from a sound technical/regulatory background to identify appropriate and proportionate risk control measures.
- A proven track record of improving fire safety outcomes in large organisations.
- A proven track record of self-starting and working to a consistently high standard with minimal supervision.
- Effective judgement and decision-making skills - understanding strategic impact, gathering and analysing relevant information, evaluating options, applying logical reasoning, and making effective and proportionate risk-based recommendations.
- Proven experience of working with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels, demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships.
- Highly organised with proven experience of balancing challenging and conflicting priorities, with resilience to flex in order to meet business needs.
- Evidence of effectively organising your time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to persuade and influence others including senior leaders.
This is a key role at the heart of which is the ability to forge and maintain effective working relationships with large duty holders, other regulators, and staff in ONR's nuclear safety Divisions/permissioning regime.
Download full job description