£45,492 - £48,772
29 Jul 2018
ONR oversees the application of nuclear material accountancy, control and safeguards to ensure that the UK complies with its international safeguards obligations by:
- Working with the UK nuclear industry and others with nuclear material accountancy, control and safeguards reporting requirements, and safeguards inspectors from the European Commission (Euratom) and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), to make sure that the safeguards measures applied are both effective and efficient;
- Assisting UK duty holders, especially those unfamiliar with the subject, in meeting nuclear material accountancy, control and safeguards requirements;
- Implementing the Additional Protocol to the current UK/IAEA/Euratom Safeguards Agreement, which helps increase the IAEA’s capability to detect undeclared nuclear activities in non-nuclear-weapon states;
- Maintaining an involvement in international safeguards-related organisations such as the European Safeguards Research and Development Association (ESARDA) and the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management (INMM);
- Providing support to safeguards officials in the Department for Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) on UK safeguards policy issues as well as on other safeguards-related aspects of international and non-proliferation policy; and
- Ensuring that safeguards measures do not place unreasonable demands on, or result in unnecessary commercial disadvantage to, the UK organisations involved.
In a change to the current role, ONR is working to develop the capacity and capability to establish the State System of Accounting for and Control of nuclear material (SSAC) which will be required once the UK has withdrawn from the Euratom Treaty.
The team is part of ONR’s Civil Nuclear Security Division and works in close cooperation with colleagues across the full range of ONR’s directorates which provides opportunities to gain the broadest possible insight and to make valuable contributions to the work of the organisation as a whole.
Download full job description